Thursday, August 25, 2016

"Return I" 2016

Overview of "Return I"

Detail

Detail



I have a long term delight in the transfer of natural pigment onto papers, fabrics and yarns, by slow methods.  My fascination with the cycles of life and the richness of my geographical location are combined in this series "Return" which uses these dyed materials. I think of the layering of the pigmented filmy tissue papers  and various fabrics as evocative of the painterly method of building layers of colour washes, creating depths in the colour. For me this aligns with natural layering processes where sediments are geologically deposited and then overlaid with finer detritus and plant matter, creating our "earth" - our place in the cosmos. There are no two iterations that are the same, ingredients always subtly altering over space and time. Nothing is geometric or regular, there is a creative organic shape to the outcome of the process. This is what I strive to reference with this series of works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment