Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Over view of Solo Exhibition at Cottleston Gallery.

The curator at The Cottleston Gallery made a very comprehensive review of my solo exhibition in her gallery space which you can visit at: Tauranga exhibition


This installation has been very interesting to me as it was an opportunity to install in a space very different from the more conventional gallery white cube. Much of my making explores aspects of the everyday and the domestic mundane so this resonated well in the re-purposed villa space. The more intimate gallery context enabled the viewers to engage with the work in a very relaxed and secure space, which encouraged extended consideration of the pieces.

My behind the scenes paperwork was a bit of an underprepared shambles and I felt that this actually let the gallery down. So that lesson is one I also take away with me.

Many of the pieces in this exhibition are works I have wanted to exhibit more extensively so I am now re-evaluating the spaces that I approach to try and see if perhaps I can find a more "domestic" environment so the viewer experience can be enhanced.

The main drawback for me regarding this opportunity was the shortness of the hanging period. Because of the travel involved the time seemed extra short and I would probably negotiate for longer next time. However as the gallery curator said the numbers tend to drop off dramatically after the first fortnight.

All in all a great experience from which I learned a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment