Sunday, May 29, 2016

Silk painting



A few years ago I undertook a self directed daily silk painting practice. I have dabbled with this on and off over the years starting with my studies in Ontario. At one stage I was making and selling a line of hand painted men's silk boxer shorts. That seems like several lifetimes ago now. There is a magical intensity to the colours of the silk paints and that makes these works standout from my more standard textile practices which are of a more subdued palette. The fabric is painted under tension and once it is thoroughly dried I steam set the work so it is washable and permanent. The painting is done onto a high grade pure silk satin that has the most glorious lustre to it on the upper face. These images  above are of one small piece that that has been appliquéd onto linen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment