Saturday, August 23, 2014

Notes made during the creating of "The Codex Series" 2014





Daily pages made to record my daily chores. Part of my thesis work. The base of the pages is the front page of the local newspaper, this is then coated in hot wax and various materials are attached to both faces to record what I do in the morning(front face) and after lunch(back face). Each activity has been assigned a material such as white broderie anglais to represent washing the evening dishes. The materials are derived from my art practice - they are fragments left over from projects that have a tacit resonance for me in their selection. The pages are then collated into months which are bound with assorted eco-dyed materials - sometimes handwoven as well as in this example.
These diaries are part of a durational diaristic practice I am engaged with that is seeking ways to value the domestic mundane - the invisible work of running a household. My hypothesis is that if a record or monument is created that is one way of assigning value to the experiences as culturally we only make monuments to things we place value on.
The making of these diaries will continue for a least a year. They will be presented as a unit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment